John Hanly & Co Ltd was established in 1893. The company has always been under the management of the Hanly family and Brian Hanly is now the fourth Managing Director. It is located in Ballyartella Woollen Mills, approx. 5 kilometres from Nenagh in County Tipperary. Before moving to Ballyartella , Denis Hanly and his son John operated a number of hand looms in South County Tipperary, approx 40 miles from Nenagh. In 1893 they moved their machinery to Ballyartella in the North of the county. They took over a vacant mill beside the Nenagh River and a large wheel provided the power necessary to operate the machinery.
The business expanded to spinning and carding, the main products being flannels and blankets. At that time, all products were sold within Ireland and the UK under the guidance of the founder's son, John Hanly who became Managing Director. Business continued in this way for many years. Local farmers brought their fleeces to the mill for purchase. Spinning, carding and weaving took place within the six storey mill.
In 1950 the company suffered a major set back. A fire within the mill meant that the factory was virtually burned to the ground. The family home of John Hanly which was beside the mill was also destroyed by the flames. A two-storey structure was all that remained of the original six stories and this is still part of the existing mill and is now used to house the yarn for weaving. After the fire it was decided to discontinue with the spinning and carding operations and the business now concentrated on the weaving trade and was built up from virtually nothing. It became necessary to buy in all raw materials and the cloth was designed and woven in the mill and finished by specialist finishing companies. This practice continues today, where Hanly fabric and accessories are sold to top brands, designers and quality retailers around the world.